Different factors affect the possibility of conception. If you are looking for what are the chances of getting pregnant, you have come to the right place. Factors like fertility can dramatically decrease or increase your chances of conception.
In all, a sperm has to meet an egg. The egg must be fertilized. The embryo must develop normally and find a place to successfully implant. The embryo must continue to grow after implantation. So, a lot must happen for a pregnancy to occur.
Unfortunately, you may fall under the category of a low pregnancy possibility. But, don’t get upset. These probabilities are just estimates, and every person is unique. Solutions to the problem can increase the probability. And, I truly believe there is a solution for all problems. So, keep your head up and stay hopeful. You will be blessed with a baby one day!
In this post, the following will be discussed.
- What are the chances of getting pregnant?
- What are the chances of getting pregnant by age?
- Chances of getting pregnant with multiples
- What are the chances of getting pregnant without/with birth control?
- Chances of Getting Pregnant During Ovulation or Period
- What are the odds of getting pregnant with fertility issues?
- What are the odds of getting pregnant with lubricant?
- Odds of Getting Pregnant with Assisted Reproduction
*Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you. However, I may earn a small commission.
*This should not be taken as a substitute for medical advice. This is just for educational purposes. Please ask your doctor any questions you have.
What are the chances of getting pregnant?
If no fertility issue is known, a woman should have about a 20 percent chance of conceiving each month. This would mean that she should be pregnant with five months of trying. 98 percent of couples with no fertility issues should conceive within a year of trying. Some may think that 20 percent is very low, but it actually adds up with time.
But again, factors due play a role. It is not only a fertility issue that affects the chance of conception. Age plays a huge role. The younger you are, the higher the chance of conception because the genes in the eggs change. You must also baby dance during the days of ovulation.
Understanding your cycle is very important. It can also help you conceive. Download an app that would help calculate when you ovulate. The more information you login, the more accurate the calculations would be. I personally use GLOW. I love it and when I insert the results of my ovulation kits, it updates the calculations accurately for the next months.
What are the chances of getting pregnant by age?
Fertility is affected by age tremendously. Eggs can age. You need young eggs to get pregnant! So, think about freezing them if you are not ready, and want kids later on.
- When a woman is younger than 25 years old, the majority of her eggs are still young meaning they don’t have abnormal chromosomes. She would have a 96 percent chance of conceiving within one year of trying to conceive. That is why most doctors tell you to wait a year before coming in to be evaluated.
- When a woman is between the ages of 25 and 34, the majority of her eggs still have normal chromosomes (90 percent of her eggs to be exact). She would have an 86 percent chance of conceiving within a year. But, keep in mind, the possibility of miscarriage rises to 10 percent during the late 20s. In addition, miscarriage possibilities rise to 20 percent in the early 30s.
- When a woman hits 35, fertility begins to decrease. But, at 35 you still have a good chance of conceiving within a year, 78 percent to be exact. If you are 35 or older, only try to conceive for 6 months. You don’t want to wait for more than that because your fertility is decreasing by the days. Freeze your eggs if you are having a hard time conceiving before you turn 40. Pregnancies at 35 or older have a higher rate of being abnormal. Miscarriage rates are also high.
- When a woman turns 40, fertility has declined. 90 percent of your eggs have abnormal chromosomes. She would most likely need medical help to conceive. If she has frozen her eggs, she will have a higher chance of conceiving.
- After the age of 45 or older, a woman has a 3 percent chance of conceiving and would need help medically. Screening the embryos for abnormalities should be advised.
Chance of getting pregnant with multiples
These statistics are for natural births. It does not include those who got pregnant with multiples from infertility treatments and assisted reproductions. So, let’s get to it!
- The chance of conceiving twins is 1 in 250 pregnancies.
- The chance of conceiving triplets is 1 in 10,000 pregnancies.
- Conceiving quadruplets is even rarer. The chance of conceiving them is 1 in 700,000 pregnancies.
Click here to read more about how to know you are pregnant with twins or multiples.
What are the chances of getting pregnant without/with birth control?
On Birth Control
Birth control is also known as contraceptives. They are methods used to prevent pregnancies from occurring. Birth control is usually effective 99 percent of the time if you used it perfectly. But, are human beings perfect? Definitely not! So, yes pregnancy can still occur. But, what is the chance of pregnancy? Let’s get specific!
- Internal Condom: 79 percent effective
- External Condom: 86 percent effective
- Diaphragm: 88 percent effective
- Spermicide: 72 percent effective
- Cervical Cap: 71 percent effective
- Sponge: 80 percent effective
- Birth Control Pills: 91 percent effective
- Pull-Out Method: 80 percent effective
- IUD: 99 percent effective
- Arm Implant: 99 percent effective
- Vasectomy: 99.9 percent effective
- Tube Ligation: 99 percent effective
After vasectomy reversal, you have a pregnancy rate of 30-90 percent.
What are the chances of getting pregnant without protection?
If you are not on birth control, you have a 20 percent chance of pregnancy in general. But, again it really depends on your health, age, and the day of the cycle it is. The pull-out method is not really protection. You may get pregnant from precum.
Chances of Getting Pregnant During Ovulation or Period
Ovulation is the release of an egg from an ovary. This must happen for pregnancy to be possible. There are signs that ovulation is occurring like increased sex drive, egg white cervical mucus, and a shift in basal body temperature. Take ovulation kits to accurately know when you are going to ovulate. If you baby dance the day of ovulation or the two days before, you have a 30 percent chance of getting pregnant. The chance of getting pregnant during your period or a few days before or right after is low unless you ovulate very early. The possibility is almost zero percent. That is because the ovary begins developing the egg for release on day 4 of your cycle. Your egg will still need time to ripen before being released. Usually, a woman’s period would end on days 3- 7 of the cycle. That is not enough time to release the egg. Instead, the egg is most likely released on day 14 of the cycle.
I recommend baby dancing every other day after period. You will not ovulate yet, but you still have a chance to get pregnant. Once, you see egg white cervical mucus, you should make sure to baby dance at least once.
What are the odds of getting pregnant with fertility problems?
PCOS is also known as polycystic ovary syndrome. It is caused when the female body produces too much male home called androgens. Medicine can help with this, and a woman may fall pregnant afterward. It just may take a bit longer. Others, need IVF, but the success rate is 20 to 40 percent. That is a high probability!
Low Sperm Count
When we say Low Sperm Count, we mean sperm concentration between 10-20 million/ml. But these numbers may still be good if there is a high volume. He must have at least 40 million altogether. But, that doesn’t mean a woman can’t get pregnant with less. It may just take some more time. IUI and IVF can help assist reproduction. IUI can only be done if you have 9 million motile sperm in all. The possibility of pregnancy would be 17 percent.
To know if you have a low sperm count, you can get tested at the hospital or at home with a sperm tester. I recommend this Sperm Test on Amazon.
Sperm concentration and motility are both very important for fertility, and they can be increased naturally. For three months:
- Quit smoking
- No drinking alcohol
- Take Fertilaid.
- Exercise (This one is very important)
- Eat Healthier (Add Male Fertility Foods In Your Diet)
You will see a change in all three morphology, motility, and count.
One Fallopian Tube Or One Ovary
You only need one tube or one ovary to get pregnant. It will just take a bit more time. 85 percent of women with one ovary or tube get pregnant within 2 years of trying to conceive.
Uterine polyps are caused by an overgrowth of cells in the lining of the uterus. The polyp should be removed if it affects fertility. The chance of pregnancy after removal depends on where the polyp was. The pregnancy rate within 6 months after surgery was 57 percent for polyps at the uterotubal junction, 40 percent for multiple polyps, 28 percent for posterior wall polyps, 18 percent for lateral wall polyps, and 14 percent for anterior uterine wall polyps.
Endometriosis is very painful. It occurs when the lining of the uterus called endometrium grows outside the uterus. Keep in mind, getting pregnant with endometriosis is still possible. It may just take a little more time. If you know you have it and have been trying to conceive for more than six months, I recommend talking to a doctor. She/he could speed things up and manage the pain.
What are the odds of getting pregnant with lubricant?
There is not enough data suggesting using lubricant decreases or increases your chance of conception.
- But, keep in mind, some lubricants are known to be toxic to sperm. Some of the lubricants include KY, Astroglide, or Sesame Oil.
- Other lubricants are designed to help sperm like Preseed Fertility Lube.
- Some lubricants neither harm nor help sperm like Canola, Baby, or Mustard Oil.
Odds of Getting Pregnant with Assisted Reproduction?
It is very important to take prenatal vitamins with these assisted reproduction treatments. The chance of pregnancy doubles with prenatal vitamins. I recommend these.
Assisted reproductive technology is fertility treatments that help women conceive. They can be very expensive, but babies are worth it!
A woman usually has a 10-20 percent chance of pregnancy per IUI cycle. The more tries, the higher the chance.
A woman under 35 has a 40 percent of chance of having a baby after IVF, and 11.2 percent chance of having a baby if over 40 years old.
Taking clomid is not a cure for infertility for all women. It only helps some women and may not increase pregnancy rates in everyone. If you do not ovulate on your own, it may drastically increase your fertility.
Chances of pregnancy are affected by different factors including age, health, and if one is on protection. Remember, these are just numbers. Everyone is unique. I hope everyone can have the baby they desire one day.
Leave a comment below about how you got pregnant, and how you found out. We would love to know if you had a fertility problem, and succeeded in getting pregnant. Let’s show some support and help others trying to conceive achieve their dreams.