Imagine this: a small, cute robot named Codey Rocky thats ready to introduce young children to the world of coding and robotics. In this review, we’re going to take a close look at what makes Codey Rocky, the programmable education robot by MakeBlock, great – the things that make it a potential game-changer in a child’s learning journey. From its user-friendly interface to the hands-on experience it offers, Codey Rocky promises to be a delightful partner in the quest for coding knowledge.
In this post, I will discuss the following.
- What is MakeBlock’s Codey Rocky?
- How does Codey Rocky work?
- My Experience with the Codey Rocky
- The Cost
- Should You Buy the Codey Rocky?
- The Pros and Cons of Codey Rocky
- Other Specs
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you purchase something at no additional cost to you.
What is MakeBlock’s Codey Rocky?
MakeBlock’s Codey Rocky is an excellent gift for children, particularly those who enjoy robots. The Codey Rocky is a four-wheeled toy robot that is eager to begin amazing coding adventures! MakeBlock’s Codey Rocky robot is an excellent introduction to STEM learning with Codey Rocky (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) that not only teaches the logic of computer programming but also fosters computational thinking. The Codey Rocky educational robot is an excellent choice for parents looking for educational toys for their children, making it a children’s coding toy that stands out.
How does Codey Rocky work?
The Codey Rocky programming languages include Python and Scratch 3.0, making it a versatile educational tool. To get the Codey Rocky to do its job, you must follow these steps:
- Slide Codey onto Rocky, the robot’s chassis.
- Charge the Codey Rocky using the micro USB charging cable, powered by a 950mAh lithium battery.
- Download the MakeBlock app via the Google Play Store or the Apple Play Store, or use it as software on Mac or Windows.
- Connect the Codey Rocky through Bluetooth, a USB cord, and Wi-Fi.
Scratch 3.0 provides an interface that makes it easy for children to get the robot to work, and it can also show the codes in Python, introducing kids to the logic of computer programming.
By adding several lines of code, the Codey Rocky robot can:
- Play Music
- Change Facial Expressions
- Create LED Animations
- Blink its eyes
- Distinguish colors from one another
- Move around and avoid obstacles
- Make a number bomb game
- Play instruments
Experience with Codey Rocky: My Review of Codey Rocky
My review of Codey Rocky is a positive one. My 6-year-old son was so excited when he saw that I bought him a robot. Literally, he screamed out “A robot”! Setting up the Codey Rocky was a bit tricky, but after a while, I got the hang of it. I had to teach my son how to use it for the first few days. However, my son has had it for two weeks now, and he knows how to get it to do all the functions on his own.
When I buy my son a toy, he is usually excited about it the first day and then forgets about it. However, it’s been two weeks, and he plays with the programmable education robot all day and sleeps with it at night. I believe that it captures children’s attention for a long time because of the various functions it can do. It’s not boring at all.
I found it much easier to connect Codey Rocky to the computer and add code there instead of on the app. Kids can use Codey Rocky as a remote-controlled robot. Overall, I found this toy very engaging and a great way to introduce robotics and the logic of computer programming to children over the age of 6. The Codey Rocky technology is truly fascinating.
The price of MakeBlock’s Codey Rocky is $89.99, which is reasonable considering the educational benefits it offers to children. I would totally recommend this toy to any parent who is looking for a highly educational toy. The MakeBlock educational robot is worth the investment.
Should You Buy the Codey Rocky?
Yes, you should buy the Codey Rocky robot for your child, especially if they are into robotics or you want to introduce your child to STEM learning with Codey Rocky. Adults can also learn a lot about programming and coding with the Codey Rocky robot. The ultimate answer to this question is whether your child is into robotics and whether STEM learning with Codey Rocky is something you want your child to get into. You can also read the pros and cons of the toy before deciding whether the toy is great for you.
The Pros and Cons of Codey Rocky
Pros of Codey Rocky:
- Engaging Learning Experience: Codey Rocky provides an interactive and hands-on introduction to coding and robotics, making it an enjoyable learning experience for children.
- Versatility in Programming Languages: It supports both Scratch and Python, offering flexibility for learners at different levels.
- Encourages Computational Thinking: By solving coding challenges, children develop problem-solving skills and computational thinking.
- Fosters Creativity: Children can create various functions and behaviors, fostering creativity and imaginative thinking.
- Strong Foundation in STEM: It serves as a solid foundation for future learning in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- Gradual Complexity: The learning experience evolves with the child, providing new challenges as they progress.
- Enhances Concentration and Focus: Coding requires concentration, which can be beneficial for other areas of education.
- Interactive Creation: Children don’t just watch; they actively create and make things happen, enhancing their understanding of technology.
- Family Bonding: It’s an opportunity for parents to join in the learning process, creating a fun bonding experience.
- Preparation for the Future: In an increasingly tech-driven world, Codey Rocky equips children with essential skills for the future.
- Fast Shipping: I got the product very quickly after ordering it.
- Firmware Setup Complexity: Setting up the robot’s firmware can be a bit challenging and may require multiple attempts.
- Python-Scratch Transition: Switching between Python and Scratch modes may not be seamless, as code copying is necessary.
- Requires Hands-On Engagement: To fully benefit, children need to actively engage in creating their own programs, which may not suit all learning styles.
- Age and Adult Assistance: Younger children may require some assistance, particularly when getting started with the robots.
- Limited Editing in Python Mode: While Python code can be viewed, editing options are restricted in Python mode.
Here are some additional specifications of Codey Rocky:
- Main Board: ESP32 Chip
- Programmable Modules:
- LED Display
- RGB LED Indicator
- Gear Knob
- Voice Sensor
- Light Sensor
- 6-axis Gyroscope and Accelerometer
- IR Transmitter
- IR Receiver
- Color Infrared Sensor
- DC Geared Motor
- Follow lines
- Intelligent avoidance of obstacles
- Chasing light
- Automatic anti-drop adjustment
- Color recognition
- Somatosensory remote control
- Infrared communication
- AI (Artificial Intelligence)
- LoT (Learning of Things)
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, USB, Wi-Fi
- Compatibility: Makeblock Neuron, Lego Bricks
- Battery Capacity: 950 mAh lithium battery (5V 1A input, micro USB)
- Dimensions and Weight:
- Length: 102 mm
- Width: 95.4 mm
- Height: 103 mm
- Weight: 295 grams
In Conclusion: Review of Codey Rocky
Codey Rocky is more than just a robot; it’s an engaging educational tool that introduces children to the exciting world of coding and robotics. With its user-friendly interface, support for multiple programming languages, and hands-on learning experience, it provides a solid foundation in STEM education. While it may have some minor challenges, such as firmware setup complexity, the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. For parents seeking an educational toy that sparks creativity and computational thinking, Codey Rocky is a valuable addition to the learning journey.
MakeBlock has created many other education STEM toys.